Monday, July 27, 2009

It took us to after 11:00 pm to get back to the camper. The kids got really silly in the back seat of the truck on the way home. We had to wait for 30 minutes in another construction zone. It was pitch black outside by then. Not easy driving in the mountains in pitch black lighting. One great thing by the time we got back to the camper, the stars were numerous, never saw so many in my life before. Well off to Mount Rushmore this week and then home soon.
The Park was just awesome at sunset. It got dark fast, soon after we took these pictures. We had to get out by 10:00 before the gates were put up. We made it out by 9:54 pm. We still had to drive through Grand Teton National Park to get back to our campsite.

One more picture opportunity.
After we cleared the Bison, we stopped to check out this lake because the mere beauty of the lake drew us to take a closer look.
I had never seen so many bison in my life.
We were amazed that the herd of bison kept going. They were continuing to come up from below the valley and didn't want to stop. Notice the park ranger car in the picture. Tony finally took the opportunity to push forward when a mother bison had a hard time getting the baby bison to cross, then he took off with the truck or else we would be there forever!!!
This is what delayed us for so long. It was a herd of bison slowly crossing the road! It was sometime after 8:30 pm and we had to be out of the park by 10:00 pm because the roads are closed down.
Here are some of the pictures we took during the second traffic jam.
After a while the rain went away and it became quite nice, the sun poked out its head. We were struck in traffic, we already went through a construction zone and couldn't understand what was causing the problem. We were delayed for about 45 minutes as we slowly crawled through the park. It gave Kristen and myself a change to take more pictures. We soon discovered what the problem was. We first saw a ranger go quickly pass us up and go on ahead.
Kristen and myself took as many pictures as we could even though the thunder was all around us. By the time we made it back to the car, the raindrops were falling steadily. The kids wanted to continue the drive through the park even though we were driving through a rain storm. They really enjoyed the beauty around them. We continued the 92 miles around the park, in the rain listening to satellite radio set to Broadway Hits, getting pounded by hail at one point and going through one construction zone which we were warned about by the park ranger.
Aaron starting to run as the storm began to come over us.
The wind was something else by this time. Blowing hot water right into our faces.

Aaron at this point enjoyed the hot steam from the geyser because the temperature dropped and he was getting cold from the strong wind.
We had a nice lunch in the parking lot. We put the cooler away and started to walk the boardwalk around the geysers. As soon as we started our tour, the wind grew strong, the sky dark with thunder. We were stuck taking the whole 1/4 mile trail around. We did the best we could and hurried up.
We decided to visit more of the Park, stopping at the Midway Geyser Basin. We decided to eat our lunch/dinner in the parking lot first because the kids were getting hungry.
We finally made it to Yellow Stone Park and were able to see "Old Faithful" do its thing. It's a very large park, we chose to do the lower loop of the park which is 96 miles long.

Just a few feet from the previous picture, I took this one. We were on a cliff and a little afraid we would fall over. That's why the kids turned towards the road to get their picture taken in the previous picture.
While driving thru the Grand Teton, we found we just had to stop and see the beauty.
Sunday July 26, 2009. We started our Journey to Yellow Stone National Park. You first have to drive thru Grand Teton National Park around 29 miles to get to the entrance of Yellow Stone National Park. Note at this time the nice weather we are having.

No comments:

Post a Comment